- Published on Sunday, 06 January 2013 20:58
KUALA LUMPUR: A special panel has been set up to ensure that smartphone dealers do not engage in profiteering from the RM200 rebate for smartphone purchases by eligible youths.
Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim said the panel, made up of telecommunication companies (telcos) and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), will act against dealers found to be profiteering.
"The Information, Communications and Culture Ministry will complement the panel by monitoring price movements of smartphones," he told reporters here on Sunday.
On Wednesday, the Cabinet agreed not to set a price limit on 3G smartphones purchased by youths between 21 and 30 earning less than RM3,000 with the RM200 government rebate.
The rebate is being implemented under the Youth Communication Package following Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's announcement in Budget 2013 in September last year.
"So far more than 10,000 youths have registered for the rebate and my ministry hopes there will be an exponential rise (in the registration), based on their (youths) ability (to buy) and needs," Rais said.
He said if the youths (eligible for the rebate) wanted to voice their views or make enquiries, they could contact MCMC at its hotline at 1800-88-4040 or by accessing the commission's website.
- The Star