|Tuesday, 09 October 2012 21:54|
GEORGE TOWN: Over 60 people are believed to have fallen prey to a so-called recording and modelling agency from Singapore, involving losses amounted to hundreds of thousands of ringgit, said Penang MCA Public Complaints Bureau deputy chief Lim Thoon Deong.He said so far four victims, who took part in the 'Idol Search' and 'Cover Guy & Girls' competition, had complained to the bureau.
"The participants were asked to pay RM50 to enter the competition which was held on May 20 at a hotel here, and another RM60 for the second series," he told reporters after lodging a report at the Penang Police Contingent Headquarters here Tuesday.
It is learned that the organiser registered a company under the name '9media', with its last known address in Bandar Baru, Ayer Itam.
Lim said the victims realised that they had been cheated when the second series of competition, which was supposed to be held on Aug 26, was cancelled and the organiser could not be contacted.
The organiser had also offered to cut an album and hold a photography session outside the country for which participants were required to pay between RM260 and RM7,200.
He said, some participants were also recruited as crew members, but they were only paid for the first month of their duties.
Meanwhile, Penang CID chief ACP Roslee confirmed receiving the report when contacted.