|Friday, 19 October 2012 22:23|
He said to his knowledge, the contractor had submitted an application for approval of the renovation end of last year. SHAH ALAM: The owner of the bungalow involved in the roof collapse tragedy in Section 7, here Thursday, had asked the contractor responsible for renovations to arrange for approval from the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA).
"According to the contractor, they have applied for the approval and I expected the approval was obtained... I do not want to comment further on this matter," he said when contacted here.
During a news conference Friday, Shah Alam Mayor Datuk Mohd Jaafar Mohd Atan said the bungalow owner failed to seek approval for the renovation plan under Section 70(1) of the Street, Drainage and Building Act 1974.
Mohd Jaafar said the bungalow involved was one of 26 bungalow units built in five different designs on land owned by the Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS), with an estimated value of RM1.2 million per unit at the time it was advertised.
He said out of the 26 units, four bungalows were undergoing renovation but only two had obtained approval for the renovation plan.
Commenting further, the businessman in his 50s who declined to be identified, said the bungalow was purchased two years ago and obtained a certificate of fitness (CF) last April.
He said the renovation process began in July and was expected to be completed by year-end or early next year.
"When I was informed of the matter yesterday... I was shocked by the unfortunate incident. I would visit the house at times to see the construction work being done," he said.
The businessman also said a police report was lodged Thursday night and he has provided the police a statement on Friday morning.
Meanwhile, Shah Alam Police Chief ACP Zahedi Ayob said they were collecting statements from several witnesses and victims to find out the actual cause of the incident.
"We've taken statements from relevant quarters and are still waiting for forensic reports from the MBSA.
"We also confirm that there are no more victims trapped in the rubble and rescue operations ended this morning," he said.
In the incident, Indonesian construction labourer Totok Mochamd Anthony was killed, while five others were critically injured when part of the concrete roof of a luxury bungalow collapsed.
One victim lost his right leg and 10 others managed to get away unharmed.
The incident occurred at 4.20pm when all 16 workers were carrying out renovation work inside and on the second floor of the two-storey house.