- Published on Sunday, 06 July 2014 12:36
MALACCA: The Malaysian military officer facing sexual assault charges in New Zealand should not be tried in the media and public.
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said any action to try Warrant Officer II Muhammad Rizalman Ismail in the court of public opinion was inappropriate and unfair to the accused and his family.
“When talking about justice, justice must not only be done, but also must be seen to have been done. In this case, justice should be served not only to the victim, but also to the accused,” he said before breaking fast at the Malacca chief minister’s official residence, Seri Bendahara, here yesterday. Present was Chief Minister Datuk Seri Idris Haron.
Hishammuddin said the Malaysian government would help appoint a lawyer for Rizalman to get a fair trial when he was charged in New Zealand.
He said the Foreign Affairs Ministry’s decision to send the accused back to New Zealand to aid investigations was the right decision.
“This matter had been discussed in the cabinet before the announcement was made.”
Rizalman, who was a defence staff assistant at the Malaysian high commission in Wellington, was accused of burglary and assault with intent to rape there.