- Published on Thursday, 02 June 2016 09:36
KUANTAN: The use of the MIG-29N fighter aircraft will be reduced following increasing operating expenses, said Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) chief, Tan Sri Roslan Saad.
He said apart from that, the capabilities of the fighter aircraft were also getting more limited as the aircraft have been in service for 21 years since they were first used in 1995.
"We have been reducing the use of the aircraft since three years ago and so far there is no time frame as to when the aircraft will be completely phased out," he said.
Roslan was speaking at a press conference after inspecting a parade which comprised 27 officers and 625 members of other ranks held in conjunction with the RMAF 58th anniversary at Kuantan Air Base here, Tuesday.
Asked whether the RMAF would be purchasing new aircraft, he said the air force was now identifying several types of fighter aircraft among them the Gripen, Rafale and Typhoon.
"We are now in the final stages of studying which of the companies are able to meet with our requirements and the decision to be made is not for a short term.
"Our focus is on a multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA) capable of performing various roles, among others, the role of air-to-air combat and air-to-surface attack," he said.
Over 500 guests including the public were feasted to an air show including a demonstration by RMAF Special Forces (Paskau) and parachute display during the ceremony.
Among the aircraft involved during the demonstration were the Pilatus PC-7 Mk II, EC725 helicopters, Nuri helicopters, Sukhoi SU 30MKM, F/A 18D4 and MiG29N fighter aircraft.