LAST_UPDATEMon, 23 Apr 2018 5pm

Baby Dumped At House Verandah To Be Handed To Welfare Dept

Pic by NSTP/ courtesy of PDRMPic by NSTP/ courtesy of PDRM

BATU PAHAT: A newborn baby girl, who was found alive after being dumped at a kampung house here yesterday, will be handed over to the Welfare Department.

District police chief Assistant Commissioner Abdul Wahib Musa said that one option that can be considered by the Welfare Department is to give temporary custody to of the baby to her grandparents if they were agreeable to it.

The baby's 19-year-old mother was arrested by police after she delivered and abandoned her baby at the verandah of her neighbour's house in Kampung Parit Lubok Darat, Semerah here about 12.30am yesterday.

"We will make sure of the baby's safety. The infant will be handed over to the Welfare Department.

"The baby will be placed in the department's custody until the rightful person to care for her is identified.

"One option is to give the responsibility to the mother's parents, provided they agree to it and if there is no court injunction in the case.

"However, this will depend on the investigations and subsequent action by the deputy public prosecutor," said Wahib.

He said the 19-year-old mother, who works as a food stall helper, confessed to police that she delivered the baby at a neighbour's house when its occupants were away.

The house owner, an 81-year-old man and his wife, upon returning at 7am yesterday, found the baby wrapped in cloth on their varandah. There were bloodstains and the baby's umbilical cord and placenta were found nearby.

"The baby was from the woman's relationship with her boyfriend. The baby weighing 3.1kg was found healthy and in stable condition.

"The young mother and baby were sent to Sultanah Nora Ismail Hospital, Batu Pahat and they are in good condition. The mother is being detained for investigations for concealing giving birth with intention to abandon her baby," said Wahib.

He said investigations are being conducted under Section 317 of the Penal Code. If convicted, the offender could be jailed up to seven years and fined, or both.