Sat06232018

LAST_UPDATESat, 23 Jun 2018 10am

Smile! You're Now A Raya Traffic Offender

PETALING JAYA: Pictures and videos captured by “spies” along the nation’s highways, including of those abusing emergency lanes, can be used as evidence to issue summonses.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said evidence provided by other road users through camera phones or dashboard cameras will be scrutinised before further action is taken.

“Road users can channel these information via email or the relevant channels to the authorities, including the Road Transport Department, for us to scrutinise and take further action.

“Summonses will be issued if the complaints have basis,” he told a press conference after conducting an aerial assessment of the traffic condition along the North-South Expressway (PLUS) in conjunction with Hari Raya Aidilfitri.

Also present were RTD deputy enforcement director, Datuk Ahmad Nasir Abdul Ghani; Malaysian Highway Authority director-general Datuk Ismail Md Salleh; and PLUS Malaysia Bhd general manager, Datuk Azman Ismail.

The hour-long aerial assessment spanned the PLUS network up to Tapah, as well as the area around Jalan Duta to study the pattern concerning traffic surge for Aidilfitri.

Loke said accident statistics recorded along the PLUS highway network since the launch of Op Bersepadu on June 8, showed a decrease, which was two deaths compared to 14 over the same period last year.

Statistics also showed over the five-day period, 83 summonses were issued over the misuse of emergency lanes.

“There is still lack of awareness from road users on respecting traffic laws especially regarding the emergency lanes.

“The Traffic Monitoring Centre (TMC) which operates from Persada PLUS is constantly monitoring its CCTV network, and any traffic offences detected will be relayed to the RTD and police for further action.

“There are currently 150 CCTV cameras along PLUS highways, with an average of one CCTV every 10km.

“The RTD is also working closely with PLUS on this matter. Thanks to the CCTVs, they are able to identify those who break the law.

“Don’t think you have gotten away free just because there were no patrol cars around,” he said.

On the aerial assessment, Loke said the traffic situation on Wednesday evening appeared to be under control although the number of vehicles entering the highways for the ‘balik kampung’ journey is set to increase from 1.9 million to 2.2 million.

The sharp increase after the breaking of fast period, he said, is also thanks to the 50 per cent toll discount offered up to Friday.

“The use of contra lanes as a means of traffic dispersal will also be utilised in several ‘hotspots’ which are known for congestion. Road users are advised to adhere to a safe distance when driving as well as be aware of traffic from the opposite lane,” he said.

Meanwhile, Ahmad Nasir said 38 Automated Awareness Safety System (AWAS) static cameras are in operation nationwide, with 17 along the highways and 21 along federal roads.

- NST