KUALA LUMPUR, 8 MARCH, 2012: National elite Paralympic archer Zulkifli Mat Zin has been chosen to replace Mohd Salam Sidek who passed away in November after having qualified for the London Paralympics.
The National Sports Council's (NSC) paralympics division director Mohd Safrusahar Yusuf said Zulkifli would be drafted into the national archery squad for the London Paralympics since he too had qualified for the Olympics on merit.
He would fill in the slot left vacant by the demise of the world number one ranked paralympic archer Mohd Salam who died of a heart attack in November last year.
"We hope Zulkifli will be able to perform up to expectations and fulfill Mohd Salam's dream of winning a gold medal in the London Paralympics to be held from Aug 29 to Sept 9," he told Bernama when contacted here today.
Mohd Safrusahar said he was confident with Zulkifli's ability because he had competed in the 2008 Beijing Paralympics and 2010 Guangzhou Para Games, with Mohd Salam.
Apart from Zulkifli, Mohd Zafi Rahman and Hasihin Sanawi make up the national paralympic archery team that will compete in the men's recurve ARW2 category (wheelchair).
"As part of their preparations for the London quest, the trio will be competing in the Para Archery World Ranking Tournament 2012 in Bangkok, Thailand this month," he said.